Enjoy this amazing garden and the scenic beauty of Arashiyama
Located in the Arashiyama district, Tenryū-ji Temple is the head temple of the Tenryū-ji School of Rinzai Zen Buddhism and a registered UNESCO world heritage site. It was founded in 1339 by the Shogun Ashikaga Takauji in memory of Emperor Go-Daigo, with the eminent Zen master Musō Soseki serving as its first abbot. It was initially one of the largest Zen temples in Kyoto, but a series of eight major fires over the centuries have left it a fraction of its original size.
The highlight of any tour of Tenryū-ji is the Sōgen-chi Garden, Japan's first officially designated special place of scenic beauty. Designated by Musō Soseki in the early 1340s, the Sōgen-chi Garden has retained its original form over the past 700 years. Featuring flowers in the spring and maple foliage in the fall, and noted for its skillful use of the surrounding mountains as "borrowed scenery," the Sōgen-chi Garden can be enjoyed throughout the year. Other places of interest at Tenryū-ji include the Dharma Hall, the Abbot's Quarters, and the Tahō-den. Take a leisurely walk around the temple and enjoy its magnificent scenery.