Honpo-ji Temple is a quiet place of worship in the middle of Kyoto with an incredible garden
The history of Honpo-ji Temple began already in 1436 when the temple was founded by the monk Nisshin. The temple has burned down many times during its long history, but it has always been built again. The temple moved to its current location in 1588 on the orders of the preeminent daimyo Toyotomi Hideyoshi.
The temple is not too far from subway Kuramaguchi Station, so it’s not difficult to get to, and they even have a very nice illumination event late in the year.